A Transit Oriented Development (TOD) is a fast-growing community development trend that includes a mixed use of housing, office, retail space and/or amenities integrated into a walkable neighborhood and located within a half-mile of public transportation.
TODs provide better access to jobs and housing for people of all ages and incomes. They help enhance connectivity for area residents and businesses for safer accessibility to jobs, businesses, residential and commercial districts, and schools.
TODs aim to achieve the following:
- Reduce the number of household drivers
- Lower congestion, air pollution and greenhouse emissions
- Create walkable communities that accommodate more healthy lifestyles
- Increase transit ridership and fare revenue
- Expand mobility choices that reduce dependence on the automobile
- Reduce transportation costs
Originally published at https://www.miamidade.gov/global/news-item.page?Mduid_news=news155777478124875